Submissions Rules(updated September 2016)
- There are 4 categories: Themed Digital, Themed Print, Open Digital, and Open Print.
- Members in good standing, with dues paid for the year may submit up to 2 images in each category for a maximum of 8 entries.
- Images entered in THEMED category must have been taken after September 1 of the previous club session (e.g. photos submitted in the 2016-17 photo club year must have been taken after Sept. 1, 2015. This is when the themes for the following year are announced.
- In all categories, an individual may use any skills, techniques, or technology available to them in order to produce images for submission.
- Members may choose to submit images for voting but request that those images not be chosen for discussion in the critique sessions. There will be a method of flagging images (such as a red dot) to show if they are not available for discussion. This will be provided at check in for print submissions. In digital categories, submitters will identify if they do not wish their images discussed when they submit by email.
- Digital images will be displayed on the screen during the general time available to view images - as well as run once more once the membership is seated.
- Photos entered in “OPEN” category can be taken at any time with any type of photo manipulation -- anything goes.
- Images previously submitted for any category will not be permitted. Images cannot contain watermarks, any name or identifying marks, or any printed photo frames applied through software.
- Digital files must be submitted NO LATER than 6 pm on the Monday preceding contest date by e-mail to (ONLY this address): SAPCdigitals@gmail.com
- Digital images shall be submitted with: the initials of the category (OD for Open Digital, TD for Theme Digital), and the photographer's name in the file name. In addition, a name for the image is recommended but not mandatory. For example, the file name could be: OD_barryr_imagename.jpg. Image file submitted in JPEG format and must not be larger than 2 MB.
- Image size for printed photos shall not exceed 12” x 18”, either horizontally or vertically. Square images have a maximum size of 12”x12”. Images must also be matted on a mat not exceeding 16”x20”, either horizontally or vertically. Mats only, no frames are allowed.
- To qualify for submission, images submitted must include the following: Location (where the shot was taken), focal length, shutter speed, aperture, ISO as a minimum. It is optional to include lens and camera information. For digital, much of this information is generally provided automatically in your photos' metadata, so just a title and location are needed. Labels for printed images will be available at club meetings or available for download on the website: Image Info Label (PDF file)
a) Photographs will be judged by popular vote.
b) Each member member will be provided with a ballot to record their three favorite images separately for each of the four categories.
c) Consideration for votes should be based first on relevance to the theme as well as composition, sharpness, colour, and overall impact.
d) Votes will be counted and first, second and third place winners will be announced.
e) A critique of all images will be held after the ballot count, as time allows.
a) Discussion of images following voting will be limited to the 3 winning images in each category and
a random selection of other images from that category. Each submission category will have the
same number of images discussed.
b) Rather than a “critique” session there will be a discussion of the image including how it was created as well as what the artist’s intent was when creating that image.
c) Members will be given the opportunity to request an image that they have an interest in be included in the discussion. These requests will replace the random selections.
d) Occasionally we will invite guests to run the critique sessions - other members of the photography.
community. Members will be notified of this prior to the submission night. These experts will be given the opportunity to choose the images the wish to discuss.